The Cost of an Electrical Safety Certificate

Last updated 12th April, 2024

Need to know the cost of an Electrical Safety Certificate - also known as an NICEIC certificate?

The price of an EICR certificate ranges from £125 to £300 depending on the size of your home.

For more information on electric certificates, read our article which covers everything you need to know about what electrical testing includes, the different types of certificates, the steps involved to obtain them and how much an EICR certificate costs.

Continue below!

Electric wiring checks

Ready to get a price for your job?

Get Prices

How Much Does an EICR Cost?

Let's get straight to the point!

The average cost of an Electrical Safety Certificate starts from £125 for a one-bedroom flat, while a five-bedroom detached home could cost up to £300 or more.

What does the cost of an Electrical Safety Certificate include?

The above Electrical Safety Certificate quote includes the cost of hiring a competent electrician to perform checks on all electricals in your property, which will be recorded in an Electrical Installation Condition Report (EICR).

If everything is in safe working condition and compliant with electrical regulations, you will be handed an Electrical Safety Certicate for your records.

Does the cost of an Electrical Safety Certificate differ for landlords?

If you are a landlord, it is your obligation to check that the sockets, light switches, wiring and consumer board are safe. The Electrical Safety Council also recommends an inspection report of electrical installations to be carried out every 5 years or whenever there is a change of tenants (whichever is sooner).

A Landlord Electrical Safety Report Certificate is technically a report but is generally referred to as a certificate.

The typical cost ranges from £100 to £230 for a flat and £150 to £300+ for a house depending on the size and the condition of the wiring.

Keep in mind...

Reports taken in older homes may cost more, especially if they have dated wiring, as this can cause a significant number of faults and may delay the process. These prices are based on homes with a 10-circuit or less fuse board, which is what the majority of residential properties have.

EICR Prices

Below are some estimated costs of Electrical Safety Certifications:

Job Description Avg. Cost
A Landlord Electrical Safety Report Certificate £100 - £300
Electrical Installation Condition Report (EICR) £125 - £300

Here is a breakdown of the Electrical Safety Certificate costs for different-sized homes:

Type of Property Average Cost
1 Bedroom Flat £125
2 Bedroom Flat £150
2 Bedroom House £175
3 Bedroom House £200
4 Bedroom House £250
5 Bedroom House £300+

Additional Costs

Here is a breakdown of additional costs related to electrical safety checks:

Job Description Average Cost
PAT Testing £1 - £2 per electrical item
Part P Notification Local Council £200 - £300
House Rewiring £1,900-£6,500
Fusebox Replacement £375-£500
Plug Socket Replacement £140-£340
Light Switch Replacement £75-£150

Cost Breakdown Calculator

The Typical Costs Of An Electrical Installation Condition Report (EICR) - Total Cost: £200






Waste Removal

Labour Costs and Time Frames

Now, let's explore the labour costs and timeframes of an Electric Safety Certificate. To obtain a legally-compliant Electric Safety Certificate, you need to hire a qualified electrician to conduct an Electrical Installation Condition Report.

How much does an electrician charge for an Electrical Safety Certificate?

On average, you should expect to pay a daily rate of around £125 to £300 for 2 to 4 hours' work. The price may rise for larger properties and could take up to a full day, especially in older properties which may have outdated wiring and will require longer checks.

What Does an Electrical Safety Certificate Entail?

To be awarded an Electrical Safety Certificate, a full electrical report must be conducted by a qualified electrician who will test all electrical installations in the household.

During the inspection, there may be a short power outage while circuits are tested. The electrician will most likely inform you of this beforehand.

pat testing

They may also ask you several questions, such as when electrical installations were fitted? Or have you noticed any electrical issues? You should try to be as honest as possible when answering the questions, as this will help to speed up the process.

What will the electrical inspection report involve?

  1. Checking the condition of earthing and bonding.
  2. Testing the fuse board or consumer unit to establish whether replacement is required.
  3. Conducting tests on wall outlets and switches to make sure they are operating properly, and there is no risk of electrocution or shock.
  4. Verifying arc fault circuit interrupters (AFCIs) to ensure they are working properly.
  5. Examine light fittings to ensure they are safe and working as they should.
  6. Checking the type of wiring used as any outdated wiring such as lead, fabric and black-rubber must be replaced with PVC insulation.
  7. Performing tests on extension leads which are used for outdoor electrical equipment.
  8. Finding any wear, tear or damage on any installations throughout the home to prevent future issues.
  9. Looking for any noticeable changes regarding the use of premises which require upgrades.
  10. Make a final report on whether the electrical installations are satisfactory, which requires no work to be done or unsatisfactory, which means work must be carried for the property to be deemed safe.

Can I Complete an Electrical Safety Certificate Myself?

Unfortunately, there is no budget DIY solution when it comes to electrical projects. Hiring a professional electrician that can self-certify their work is, in fact, probably the cheapest option.

It is also a necessity to hire a person who is registered with a competent person scheme, as they can self-certify without having to call a private building inspector or a local council representative.

Ready to get a quote from local tradesmen?

Post your job in minutes and get quotes from local and reliable trades. It's FREE. No obligations.

Get a Quote

Electrical Safety Planning Permission and Building Regulations

Are there any electrical regulations you need to follow?

For landlords, a Landlord Electrical Safety Certificate is a legal requirement for the properties they own in order to avoid fines and invalid insurance.

Landlord must have electrical tests conducted every 5 years although it is recommended to hire a qualified electrician to test all electrical installations and conduct a report every time a new tenant rents the property.

These checks are put in place regularly to monitor whether updates or replacements are being made within a 5-year period. If changes are not made, then landlords could face fines up to £30,000 and may also have their property insurance cancelled, although this will depend on the extent of the faults or damage.

This protects landlords as well as their tenants in the event of a fire or accident, as frequent electrical checks will ensure that all installations meet the correct standards.

If your property is a House in Multiple Occupancy, it is vital that you obtain a Domestic Electrical Installation Certificate, as well as an electrician’s Periodic Inspection report which will showcase the safety of your property. A copy of this should be given to all tenants to ensure that they understand the current state of the electrical appliances and whether any improvements must be made to protect them.

In the approved document P which outlines the building regulations law on electrical safety in dwellings. It states that electrical installations with low and extra-low voltage should provide appropriate protection against thermal or mechanical issues.

They also need to make sure there is no risk of electric shock or fire hazards to those living in the property and the surrounding areas.

Under the Institution of Engineering and Technology (IET) wiring regulations, the rules state that sufficient information should also be provided regarding these appliances. This includes an electrical safety report which must be conducted regularly to ensure all electrical devices are safe and working as they should.

The law also states that when a new installation is put in place or repaired, then an electrical installation condition report must be conducted by a competent person within 5 days of the changes. In 30 days from the report date, a buildings regulation compliance certificate should be sent out, and another copy should be passed to the building control body.

electrical testing

What happens if the work is not completed by a registered competent person?

In this case, a third-party will need to be called in to inspect the work. If this is not possible, then a building control body must be informed. They will then inspect and test the newly-finished work or hire someone to do this for them along with conducting the electrical safety report.

They will then appoint a competent person to complete the job; then once it is complete, a building regulations completion certificate will be handed to the homeowner.

What about if I'm selling my home?

A homeowner may require a Domestic Electrical Installation Certificate and an Electrical Installation Condition Report if they plan to sell or rent their home, however, it is not a legal requirement to do so. This is usually requested by an appointed estate agent who may refuse to let out or sell the home if electrical installations in the property are not compliant with building regulations.

It can also be used to speed up the buying process by reassuring potential buyers that the property is safe and the electrical installations are up to date – helping them to avoid any additional costs when moving in. Buyers may also conduct their own electrical tests for complete assurance before investing in the property.

Different Types of Electrical Safety Certificates

Whether you're a homeowner having work done at home or a landlord renting out a house or flat to tenants, there are several reasons why you might need an Electrical Safety Certificate.

If you have no previous experience of having electrical work carried out in your home, knowing which type of certificate you should get can be a bit confusing.

To help you understand electrical safety certificates, here are the four main types of electrical certificate or reports:

  • Electrical Installation Certificate.
  • Minor Electrical Works Installation Certificate.
  • Electrical Installation Condition Report.
  • Part P Notifications.

Electrical Installation Certificate

An Electrical Installation Certificate (EIC) states that an electrical installation is safe to use and is required for all major installations in the home such as new consumer units and any work requiring new circuits or any electrical work in special locations such as bathrooms.

Landlords are required to have their electrical equipment checked every 5 years or when a new tenant moves in to receive an up to date certificate.

A homeowner may also require one by law if they are planning to sell their home, as they must provide proof to the estate agent and potential buyer that all electrical elements are safe and compliant.

An Electrical Installation Certificate report takes around 2 to 4 hours and could cost anywhere between £100 to £300 with the highest-end aimed at homes with more than 4 bedrooms.

Minor Electrical Works Installation Certificate

A Minor Electrical Works Installation Certificate is similar to an Electrical Installation Certificate (EIC), in that it’s valid for up to 5 years, but is only used for electrical work such as additional sockets or light fittings not in special locations.

What's the cost?

ThThis could take around 1 to 2 hours with a charge of £60 to £95 depending on the amount of work required.

domestic electrical testing

Electrical Installation Condition Report

An Electrical Installation Condition Report (EICR) is something landlords need before a new tenant moves in. But homeowners moving into a new home should ideally get one every 3 to 5 years, especially if living in an older property.

An EICR tends to take around 3 to 4 hours, and the charge could be anywhere from £125 to £300 depending on the size of the home.

Part P Notifications

Many electrical projects need Building Control Notification under Part P Notifications. This can be done by employing a qualified electrician who can "self-certify" their work or by notifying Building Control yourself and paying a fee for an inspection, which will vary from council to council and will also depend on the extent of the work.

How long will an inspection take?

An inspection will usually last from 90 minutes to 2 hours, although a larger house may take longer.

Once this is complete, you should receive a Building Regulations Compliance Certificate to prove the work is compliant, which will be valid forever. When making these changes, you cannot get an electrician to certify work you have carried out yourself - this is illegal.

What Are the Benefits of Having an Electrical Safety Certificate?

Here are the top Electrical Safety Certificate benefits:

There are several advantages for obtaining an Electrical Safety Certificate, the first being, your own protection under the law, especially if you are a landlord.

Having a Landlord Electrical Safety Certificate will help you remain compliant in regards to the electrical fixtures in your rental property, as by law you must pay for an inspection of all electrical equipment every 5 years.

It is also good practice to hire an electrician to check the safety of the electric when a new tenant moves in. This will prevent you from paying out for fire damage or any tenant accidents regarding electric shocks.

Obtaining a certificate can also help you save money. This is because landlords without an Electrical Installation Certificate can face fines up to £30,000 or more.

Homeowners also benefit from an Electrical Safety Certificate, as this will allow them to sell their house quickly, as electrical compliance will have been confirmed. Many estate agents will not put a property on the market if the electrics have not been deemed by a professional electrician, which could cause delays or even financial loss.

Will Not Having an Electrical Safety Certificate Affect the Sale of My Property?

While you are not legally required to provide a buyer with an electrical certificate, it can actually speed up the sale of your property. This is because it will offer reassurance to the real estate agent that the property is compliant. It will also reassure potential buyers that property is safe and up to date electrical fixtures, which means they will not have to pay for electrical checks, repairs or replacement themselves.

In some instances, a buyer may perform their own electrical tests anyway. This will ensure you are prepared if you want to sell your property quickly.


Around 9,000 fires in the UK every year are directly linked to faulty electrical wiring. Having your electrical installation checked gives you peace of mind and proves that the installation is safe. In addition, in certain circumstances, it is a legal requirement.
Apart from the obvious safety aspect and ensuring the electrical systems have been installed correctly and are safe to use. The homebuyers pack requires a current electrical test certificate if you are selling your house so you will not be able to do so without an electrical certificate.
Yes - the inspection reports are required for each change of tenancy, or every 5 years whichever is sooner. This is to verify that the previous tenant has not damaged or changed the electrical system and that the electrical systems are still in safe working order. This is a serious safety issue so you cannot cut any corners, so even if you get a new tenant every 6 months, you still need to get the property electrics tested.
Yes - it probably will if the cause of the fire is found to be related to the electrical installation. Some insurance companies will not pay out at all if an electrical safety certificate has not been issued as this invalidates the policy.
No - The individual or company that carries out the electrical work is responsible for the design, installation, the testing and issuing of any electrical certificates. Any electrician issuing a test certificate for work that he has not actually completed is breaking the law. You will need to contact your local building regulations department and request a Part P Notification certificate which will cost around £300.
An Electrical Safety Certificate is an official document which is provided by a qualified electrician to confirm all electrical fixtures are safe, up to date and working as they should. In rental properties, this is usually re-issued every 5 years or when a new tenant moves in.
The average cost will vary depending on the individual property. For a 1 to 3-bedroom flat, you can expect to pay anywhere from £100 to £230, while a 1 to 2-bedroom house is around £150 to £200. For Larger properties, you can expect to pay £200 to £300 or more.
Most properties require a new report to be conducted at least every 5 years, although landlords should try to issue a new electrical certificate to each new tenant, which will offer them reassurance about the safety and practicality of the electrical fixtures in the property.

How to Find & Hire an Electrician for a Safety Certificate

The average cost of hiring an electrician is around £40 to £60 an hour, although this will vary depending on the job itself and their experience.

Before hiring an electrician to certify your electrical fixtures, you could check they have the right qualifications such as a Level 3 NVQ Diploma in installing electrotechnical services or a similar qualification. You also need to make sure that they are members of the National Inspection Council for Electrical Installation (NICEIC) or the Electrical Contractors’ Association (ECA).

Licensed members of these professional bodies are all registered for ‘Part P’ under the building regulations, which means they are qualified to conduct all electrical installation checks.

Another important thing to look out for is whether they have public liability insurance, as this will protect both you and them if any mistakes or accidents occur on the job.